New Member Intro: Algoma Community Band
The Algoma Community Band (ACB) has been ‘tootin’ their horns’, entertaining us since 1978.
Made up of approximately fifty to sixty adults as well as students from all walks of life and skill levels, the ACB plays in venues from on a float and then the school lawn during Shanty Days to Heritage Park and the Algoma Performing Arts Center. Performances include a wide variety of music from jazz, blues, show tunes, light rock, Latin, pop, marches, folk culture to serious music of a lighter nature. This provides performances that are appealing and enjoyable for both performers and audience.
In August of 2018, many of the band members traveled to Ireland to commemorate the band’s 40th anniversary!
Membership is open to adult musicians with a reasonable level of proficiency and to accomplished students with recommendation from the school band director.
We ask all of our new members these five questions, and here are the answers from ACB:
1. How long have you been in the Algoma area?
- Since March 1978
2. What do you find most interesting about your business or industry?
- The ability to do what we love to do. Music is good therapy for the musician as well as the listener.
3. What is one thing you want people to know when they think of your business?
- Music is a life-time sport!
4. What is your favorite thing about the Algoma area community?
- Its friendliness.
5. What was your primary motivation for becoming a member of the Algoma Area Chamber of Commerce?
- To get more visibility in the community and surrounding areas.